Tuesday, April 8, 2014

New Home, New Companion

Well I just couldn't stay away! After four months in the far distant city of Las Cruces, I'm back in El Paso! Hermana Hendricks and I are serving in Transmountain and we love it! We're BOTH new to the area; two Elders (young men missionaries) got moved out and we got moved in. We are having so many adventures and seeing COUNTLESS MIRACLES.

 
THE FIRST MIRACLE is that Hermana Hendricks was able to cleverly use a basic library copy machine to blow up a map for our wall. Doesn't it look great?


 
THE NEXT MIRACLE is that we were getting into the car one evening when we saw a man step outside for a beer and a smoke. He had a goatee and was covered in tattoos. You know that little voice in your head that tells you what God wants you to be doing? It's called the Spirit, and it was telling me that we ought to go talk to him. But I was already backing the car out and it just seemed awkward. As we were about to leave the parking lot, Sister Hendricks said she felt like we ought to talk with him. Then we knew that if God was bothering to tell BOTH of us the same thing, it must be really important.
 
So we very awkwardly parked the car, hopped out and headed over. We told him exactly what I just told you and we had a great conversation! We talked about serving God, prophets, the gospel, the Bible.... he'll be meeting with some missionaries later this week to share more. What is the moral of the story? "Man looketh on the outward appearance but the Lord looketh on the heart."
 
THE NEXT MIRACLE is that this weekend was General Conference, a conference in which millions of people gather all over the world to hear a very important message. People will travel hundreds of miles to attend in person, or they'll participate through TV, internet, or radio in over 100 countries. What could possibly be so important?

The Lord has called a prophet in our day and twelve apostles just like the apostles that Christ called and ordained. These men, and others, spoke to us this weekend in the General Conference. Prior to the conference, I wrote a list of three questions that I need answers to in my life. I received bigger and more direct answers to all three than I could possibly have anticipated. That's because the prophet and apostles  speak, not their own words, but the words that God tells them to say. God has declared that whether He speaks, "by [His] own voice or by the voice of [His] servants, it is the same." And I know from personal experience that this is true!
 
There are so many miracles that we've seen this week that I don't have time to write them all. But I think the greatest miracle is that I get another week to keep being a missionary of the Lord, doing His work, and seeing His miracles!
 
Have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment