Monday, March 25, 2013

Home, Home on the Range!

 
Me and my new companion, Sister Klaus
You will never guess where I am right now! El Paso, Texas! For those of you keeping track, you're right; my mission is called Albuquerque, NM. But the mission boundaries cover a good portion of New Mexico (from Taos down to Las Cruces) and all the way down to El Paso. I've still never left the U.S. in my life, but this is the closest I've ever been; Juarez is right on the other side of the freeway. I also get to add two states to the list of places I've been (both New Mexico and Texas). There's nothing like a Texas sunset!
 
My first week here has been such an adventure. I'm using more lotion than I ever have in my life (when they say "desert" they mean "DESERT!") and I'm eating lots of delicious Mexican food: gorditas, quesadillas, mole, horchattas.... mmh mmh!
 
I had an incredible moment the other day that I have to pass on to y'all. Have you heard of the verse in Ephesians that talks about putting on the armor of God, the helmet of salvation, the breastplate of righteousness, and all that? Well there's a similar verse in the Book of Mormon where Lehi, a prophet and father, is on his death bed and giving counsel to his lackey sons, Laman and Lemuel. He tells them, "Awake, my sons, and put on the armor of righteousness." Then I got to thinking about this armor. What is is made of? How was it hammered into its shape? Who is the blacksmith? The blacksmith was named Christ and the furnace was Gethsemane. Jesus Christ, through his sacrifice for us, made it possible for us to be protected from spiritual harm as we keep his commandments and follow his example. How kind of him to make us such an incredible suit of armor; all we need to do is put it on.
 
Well, I hope that you have a wonderful week! Nos vemos!

No comments:

Post a Comment